Sunday, February 19, 2006

Reupholstering


I was working from home on Friday (sweet!!!) I had lots of scrapping plans after my paperwork & cleaning projects were done. But after I finished the paperwork & moved from room to room while I was cleaning, I saw that I really needed to move my attention to the kids 'homework center'. You see, I had a project in mind.... The kids have a homework center in the loft above our livingroom. There is an extra long desk, complete with a computer, pens, paper, - everything you need to do your homework. The only thing wrong was that the chairs needed a 'face lift'. I had bought a yard of fabric and 2 extra thick foam squares at Joann's about a week ago. (that alone is another story! I thought that the fabric I picked out was $9.99 a yard, but I must have read wrong - it was $18.00 a yard... oh well, it's still a good price all things considered). I wish I had taken 'before' pictures because the chairs really looked bad. The padding had disinegrated to just about nothing and the fabric was worn down & fraying.
I love the new Waverly 'cranberry/off white stripe print' - it goes well with our olive green walls.
It was simple to do if you don't factor in the few minor mishaps.
The only 'glitch' in the project went back to blue & pink jobs. I never use staple guns and I guess they are technically a blue job in our house (and I certainly never use electric staple guns!) Who knew that the staples had to be loaded a certain way.... why do they not have simple instructions engraved in the metal ends of the gun????
3 hours and countless staples & phone calls to David later.... project done and I love the new chairs :)

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Ingrid the chairs look great. I love the color!!! Now why didn't you use a coupon at JoAnn's? That looks like a nicely stocked homework center. :) I have used a staple gun before and I've also gotten really brave and used a drill LOL!

take care,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

The chairs look great! I have that print in dining room :-)

Melissa P.

Anonymous said...

I left a post just after you put this on. I must have done something wrong because it is not here.

The chairs look great. What a wonderful space for your children.

I reupholstered my dining room chairs years ago. I feel sure it could have gone to Funniest Home Videos.