Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A Penny Saved...


We have finally finished rolling our pennies that were in the 5 gallon water jug. We had just over 27100 pennies! Sounds like a lot (and if you ask Elizabeth, it's a ton - and rolling them is a thankless job!) It was 'only' $271.00. I say 'only' because I thought for sure that my original guess of $200.00 was way too low, and that David's guess of $700.00 would be closer. Wishful thinking. The thing that is weird is that years ago when the jug was not even half full, David remembers taking a coffee cup & doing a rough count of how much was in there. He thought that at that point we were close to $200.00. I guess he was wrong :(
Elizabeth was the force behind the rolling. She spent many, many hours counting, rolling & stacking.
These are just a few of the containers that she filled. I still can't get over it - 27100!!!

David loaded up his car & took them to the bank. Now the bank was the one that told us that they had to be rolled. Well, when David got there they had run out of trays and the teller said to David that he could just 'unroll them all' and they could go in increments of $50.00 in a bank bag.
David told the lady that there was no way that he was going to go home & tell Elizabeth that she had rolled them all for nothing. She'd have been devastated - all those countless hours for nothing! Now, on to counting the dimes, nickles & quarters that our in our other jar. I wonder if Elizabeth is busy...

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow, that is a lot of pennies. I guess I was wr...wr...what's that word?????

So what is going to happen with the money? I hope Elizabeth gets a vote :)

take care,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Whoa, that is a lot of pennies. God bless Elizabeth.

When is the party?

ingrid said...

She's a good kid :)
We opened a "land" account. All 'extra' change, $$$ is going in it. Who knows, one day, if she keeps rolling, we may be able to get something LOL!

marianne said...

That's a load of pennies! I'm a penny-saver too so I can relate. I use mine to buy savings bonds for the grandkids. :)

Portrait of Peter said...

Luv the story and an amazing amount of pennies too.

Fond memories of when I used to collect in my early years.

Now I cannot see them!! One needs a magnifying glass!!

Hope you will be writing more blogs very soon.